There has been a theme in my life of frustration. The ironic thing about frustration is that once you realize how frustrated you really are, it is pretty damn frustrating. Thankfully a steady diet of kayaking, drinking, working, and doing everything in my power to escape has left me very much free of frustration for the last month. Surround yourself with people you love, give yourself an option to escape and life becomes pretty wonderful.
"You see the thing about philosophy is that it is just a big circle. You can argue everything back to contradict itself. We as humans are inherently wrong, because all we know is what we perceive, and perception is easily fooled. There is no point, but to say there is no point, is pointless" I said, the southern Californian moonscape flying past the window of my brothers early two thousand's Mazda sedan. My brother was jumped in, "Yeah, but how does thinking like this help you?" He had a point, you have two options in life. One: realize that everything is false, hypocritical, pointless, curl up in a ball and give up, or two: Find a mentality to make the most of life, to live without fear, to live knowing that this is it, accepting that fact, and truly living.
It is easy to forget with our cars, clothes, and colossal cities, that we are animals. We as a species have evolved past our own good. Instead of look for food, procreating, and taking shits, we destroy what is around us in the name of progress. Progressing toward our own destruction, living in a very false sense of reality.
The city seemed to be drowning, it seemed to be sinking back into the ocean which it overlooked. Decrepit buildings sat sadly staring out into the vastness of the sea. Trash blew in the strong ocean wind, colliding with overturned ocean freighters, still lying unmoved since the tsunami. Her hand felt warm in the cold sea air. "After the tsunami they built these new buildings, and it really improved the area, don't you think?" she asked. I nodded yes, but continued to stare at the ten other buildings not yet repaired. "When did the tsunami happen? Yesterday?" I asked. She shot me a annoyed look, "Five years ago more or less." Five years and nothing had changed. The sea had tried to remove this eye sore from the earth but had not yet succeeded. It had been not more then a few hours since I came red eyed and yawning from the seven hour bus ride of Pucon to Concepcion, but now I felt the need to leave as soon as possible. I had come to see Fernanda, my girlfriend of the last few months. However I was learning that maybe this had not been the best of my ideas. We left the ocean, and sped through more trash covered streets, past smoke stacks poisoning the air with thick black smoke, and hundreds of graffiti covered buildings. Sad looking people roamed the streets, the sky a dreary gray, the sun trying valiantly to break through. The apocalypse had already happened it appeared. As we pulled into a dirt road boarding a row of uniform houses smashed together in one long line, large black barred fences guarding each one, I asked, "Have you lived here your whole life, I mean in the same house and everything?" She slowed the car to a stop in front of one of the houses and pulled the key from the ignition. "Yeah, it would have been hard to move" she said as though there was nothing weird about living in the same house for twenty seven years. A car door, gate, and garage door later we were inside her house. A few hours later we sat down to dinner with her parents, Fernanda whet from the beautiful independent twenty seven year old I had come to love, and reverting back to what I imagine she must of been like as a seventeen year old as soon as her parents opened their mouths. It seemed that in front of them, the hopes and dreams she had shared with me were actually not that important.
Cultural differences is what she calls it. I say you can only use your culture as an excuse for so long, after a certain point you have to take responsibility. She has told me of what she would like to do with her life, how she would like to change, be free. The chains of comfort however are hard to break. To escape your situation, you must put forth and effort to change. With one life, and maybe seventy years if you don't drink or smoke too much, there is only so much you can do. It is easy to forget that there is and end to this. To life. When we loose sight of our own impending mortality we loose our opportunity to truly use the opportunities we have been given. I choose to live a life where I can wash all my clothes in one load, and know that I have never paid for a single one. I choose to live a life where I wonder if my money will last long enough to buy food next week. I was raised in a middle class family with parents who taught me to do things for myself and because of this I have been given a opportunity to do something great with my life.
I still have not shaken my love for drinking too much. I still have not yet reached my dream. I still have not come to terms with my own mortality, but these things give me the motivation to live. My faults give me the motivation to change. I am no longer frustrated, instead I have accepted that change takes time, and as long as I am working toward my dream then I am okay. While I still believe that this word is a very fake annoying place to be, this line of thinking does not help me get to where I want to be. I will work, I will enjoy my time, and I will drink, and hopefully I will have enough time to realize my dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment